This week our ToB topic was on JPII’s discussion on the lustful intent of the eyes. But I guess I see this as only one side of the issue. I’ve never struggled with lust, but I have had trouble with fear which can create a disconnect between our minds and our bodies.
I’ve heard people who I know that really do struggle with lust, that is turning other human beings into objects for their gratification, call those who don’t believe as they do “Puritans,” etc. On the other hand, those who struggle with fear often point to this “lustful look” issue. So, this can be another aspect of the judgment of others I discussed previously (here). We often get hung up on the opposite signpost and find our “righteousness” in the idea that we don’t live as those others do (see Luke 18:9-14). But as our rector said in his sermon on Sunday, even Anglicanism can be a “meat-grinder.” We should not be judging each other, but ourselves. We don’t want to either lust or live disconnected from our bodies or both.
These ToB teachings bring the possibility for great freedom for both types of issues. Many people struggle in the sexual area for various reasons, sometimes because of past abuse of many kinds, so let’s pray that the Lord would bring great freedom to all that we can in turn share with others as we go through this new section of John Paul’s teachings this fall.
No comments:
Post a Comment