Email a question

You can click on the "comments" link under the posted items to see what people have to say.
Help us "embody" this blog by adding your own comments. Thanks!
If you want to ask a private question or give feedback on the site, send an email to TruroTOB@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The flood and Jesus sweating blood

     Of all the images in the Scriptures, I suppose I meditate upon Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane sweating blood the most. Luke 22: 44 says, “And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.” Researchers say that humans can sweat blood as a physical effect of fear, like some pilots about to crash have done. But I can’t see that Jesus sweat blood because he was afraid to be tortured and die. It doesn’t fit with his going voluntarily to Jerusalem.

     Then I’ve considered that Jesus was overwhelmed by the thought of being alienated from his Father. But we know from Hebrews that it was “for the joy set before him that he endured the cross, despising the shame.” (Heb  12:2). So he knew that God would raise Him up after three days—he frequently prophesied this and I doubt that he sweat blood because he lost his faith at the last moment.

     I’ve also contemplated the idea that he was the most human human that ever lived and so he was passionate about taking on the sins of the world. He, more than any other human, felt the guilt and the shame of all people’s sins that caused people to be separated from God and Jesus experienced this separation. “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do,” he said.  But if anyone had faith it was Jesus. He would know through the promises of God and the praying He did that God would use His death to release the captives, atoning for their sins. All these reasons may be true, but I think he mostly sweat blood for another reason. I think Jesus sweat blood for Judas.

     Jesus served Judas at the Last Supper, what we now look at in our remembrance in our Eucharist. We know from Paul that we must examine ourselves before receiving his body and blood or we drink judgment upon ourselves. (1 Cor 11:29) That judgment is not that a big heavy called God will suddenly strike us down. It is that when we look upon the love of God in the face of Christ we are faced with a decision. Judas looked upon the face of the Messiah at that Last Supper and then chose the way of death, the way of betrayal, instead. And he went out afterwards and hanged himself.  Some people just become weak and ill (1 Cor 11:30).

     So I think Jesus knew God’s love for Judas, and those like him, in the garden. He loved those who would not choose to receive his love for them and his call to be a safe place of promise-keeping for others. This is the same heart I hear in God before the flood— the wickedness of man “grieved him to his heart” (Gen 6:6). The violence that people were doing to each other caused their tears to ascend to Him as did the cries of the Israelites in bondage in Egypt. His children were being abusers and being abused.

     I’ve never been raped but I’ve had two close calls with mass murderers and one pervert. But I know a great percentage of women have been raped. And a higher percentage of us live with the fear of it. I suppose this might compare to the fear some men might have of what might happen to them if they were ever put in the prison system in this country or other countries. The violence of this earth can ruin one’s life from either fear or the death that comes upon us from choosing to harm others as we’ve been harmed.

     When living in selfishness and God’s loving glory begins to shine, many like Judas are lost. “As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man,” Jesus teaches us (Matt 24:37). His judgment will find the world largely unprepared. “Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect”  (v. 44). Then at the end of Jesus’ teaching on his judgment in Matthew 24 that he compares to the flood, he states that the one who “begins to beat his fellow servant and eats and drinks with drunkards” (v. 49) winds up in the place where there is weeping and gnashing of  his teeth (v. 51). Judas came to this utter anguish.

     God came to start afresh after the flood with Noah to provide a place of shelter from violence in the promise-keeping of covenant with him. Gen 6: 13: “I have determined to make an end of all flesh, for the earth is filled with violence through them.”  Jesus did likewise and empowers us through his Holy Spirit to keep it so that his Church can become an ark upon the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment